Boiler Grants in London

Boiler Grants in London


RE:NEW is the name of a scheme developed by the Mayor of London, London Councils, The Energy Saving Trust and over 30 London Boroughs. The scheme aims to improve the energy efficiency, cut fuel bills and lower CO2 emissions throughout London.


What is on offer from RE:NEW

All residents living in a RE:NEW area will be eligible to receive the following package for free:

  • A full home energy survey carried out by a qualified RE:NEW Home Energy Advisor. This takes roughly 90 minutes.
  • Tailored energy and water saving advice during the visit to help you save up to £154 on annual energy and water bills.
  • A tailor-made energy saving report once the visit is complete.
  • A range of free energy saving devices.
  • Benefit entitlement and tax credit assessment.

Measures on offer during the visit may include:

  • Low energy light bulbsboiler grants london
  • Tap aerators
  • Radiator panels
  • Stand-by switches
  • Energy display monitor
  • Water efficient showerhead
  • Hot water tank Insulation
  • Draught-proofing
  • Save-a-flush toilet devices
  • Shower timer

Click here to find out if you are in a RE:NEW area and can benefit from the scheme. Or visit the official website to find out more.

Boiler Grants from London Borough of Barking and Dagenham Council

The London Borough of Barking and Dagenham website confirms that Boiler Grants of up to £2700 are available towards the cost of heating and insulation for residents in receipt of certain benefits. The grants are not provided by the council but by a government agency called the Eaga Partnership.


Know someone that needs insulation? British Gas will give you £50 to ‘Share the Warmth’

British Gas are offering to pay you £50 if you refer someone to them that needs insulation improving to their home. The offer does only refer to people on certain benefits, and we have listed them below. The offer is not limited to how many people you can refer, for everyone who has insulation installed following a referral from you, you will be paid £50 AND £50 will also be paid to the person who has the insulation installed. We would be interested to hear from anyone who successfully refers a number of people for this offer.


The person wanting the insulation will need to call 0800 084 3863 and provide your details.

Who qualifies for the ‘Share the Warmth’ scheme?

To qualify, your friend or family must be on one of the benefits below:

  1. State Pension Credit.boiler grants
  2. Child Tax Credit with an income below £16,190.

or, your friend or family must be on one of the following:

  • Income based Jobs Seekers Allowance.
  • Income Support.
  • Income Related Employment Support Allowance Credit.

Plus one of the following:

  • Parental responsibility for a child aged under five who permanently lives at the address.
  • Child Tax Credit which includes a disability or severe disability element.
  • A disabled child premium.
  • A disability premium, enhanced disability premium or severe disability premium.
  • A pensioner premium, higher pensioner premium, or enhanced pensioner premium.


Visit the British Gas website for more information.

Boiler Grants in Hampshire

Below you will find information not just about boiler grants, but also relevant information about energy efficiency, free insulation offers or boiler replacement schemes in your local Hampshire area. We have tried to keep the information on this page relevant to Hampshire and its towns and cities, but please don’t forget there are national Government funded schemes like Warm Front and The Green Deal, which are not specific to your local area.


Insulate Hampshire

Hampshire County Council has launched a partnership with all Local Authorities in Hampshire called Insulate Hampshire. The scheme offers applicants free cavity wall and loft insulation if the live in the Hampshire area. There are some qualifying terms and conditions.


  • You must live in Hampshire.boiler grants in hampshire
  • You must own your property OR obtain the landlords permission if you privately rent.
  • You must currently have less than 60mm of insulation.
  • EXCLUDES Portsmouth and Southampton City Council Residence.


Insulating your property efficiently can reduce your energy bills significantly. The Insulate Hampshire scheme also offers advice on energy efficiency, installation of solar panels and advice about benefits of grants you may be entitled to.

Free Insulation offer comes to an end on 31 March 2012, so hurry!


You can apply online and find out more information on their official website


Home Trust Loan for Eastleigh Borough Council Residents

boiler grants Home Trust Loan

Eastleigh Borough Council has a partnership agreement with Home Trust Loan. Home Trust Loan provide low cost lending for home improvements to people who might not have the funds available to carry out the work. The range of improvements you can seek finance for is broad. From a leaking roof or draughty windows right through to a replacement central heating system. A case study from the Home Trust Loan website also shows evidence that people can obtain a boiler grant and then use Home Trust Loan to finance any shortfall in the grant against the costs of improvements.


For more information you can visit the Home Trust Loan website or contact Eastleigh Borough Council Environmental Health on 023 8068 8329.


Insulation grant from Southampton City Council

Southampton City Council has a partnership agreement with Cocoon. Cocoon offer free insulation to residents over the age of £70 and reduced price cavity wall and loft insulation for all other homeowners or private tenants. For more information go to the Cocoon Website.


Financial Assistance from Portsmouth City Council

Portsmouth City Council website offers information on financial assistance available via low-cost loans. The council website also suggests there are grants available up to £4000 subject to means testing. The loans and grants available are for a broad range of home improvements, but all subject to various qualifying criteria. You can find out more information


Isle of Wight Council Grant

The Isle of Wight Council has a partnership agreement with the energy supplier E.ON. The will offer free loft and cavity wall insulation to all private households in receipt of benefits or with a householder aged over 70.

For all other households, subsidised rates of £150-180 for cavity wall insulation and £185-199 for loft insulation will be available. Currently there is a special offer for households aged 60-69 and households with children aged 18 and under of £99 per measure. Additional charges may apply where, for example, scaffolding is needed for cavity wall insulation or a loft hatch fitted to enable loft insulation. E.ON will meet these costs for priority group households. For more information visit

Warm One Island Grant

We have found evidence online about an Isle of Wight Council scheme called ‘Warm One Island Grant’. The information we found suggested a grant of up to £5000 may be possible if you meet certain criteria. This could be a grant for insulation or contribution towards a new boiler or central heating system. As the information was not easily located, it’s worth contacting the Isle of Wight Council to enquire more. You can find contact details on their website


Fareham Borough Council Disabled Facilities Grant

Fareham Borough Council can provide a grant of up to £30,000 to householders for essential adaptations to their homes allowing a disabled person to live more independently. Although this grant is not a specific boiler grant, the information on the Council website lists one of the kinds of work the grants can go towards is “providing or improving an existing heating system where the wellbeing and mobility of the disabled person would otherwise be adversely affected”. If you are registered disabled you should contact the council to find out more.


Gosport Borough Council

The Gosport Borough council website provides some excellent information for its resident about energy efficiency, boiler grants and climate change. You can find all this information on their website here.


Rushmoor Borough Council Grants and Loans

Rushmoor Borough Council lists a number of grants and loans available to resident on its websites. It specifically lists Energy Efficiency Grants up to £5000 and repairs and maintenance grants of up to £7500. Everyone’s circumstances will be different, so we would advise contacting the council to see if either of these options could be used towards a new boiler. For information about the loans and grants available, go here.



What is Fuel Poverty?

There are three key elements used to calculate fuel poverty, this is income, fuel prices and fuel consumption. In the UK you would be considered to be in fuel poverty if you spend more than 10% of your household’s income on heating your property. For example, if your household annual income is £10,000, and the cost of heating your property is over £1000, you will be considered to be in fuel poverty. It’s shocking for most people to learn that government figures in 2009 suggest over 5 million households are considered to be in fuel poverty. A high percentage of those 5 million homes are also considered to be vulnerable households. This can mean elderly people living in the property or people with young children or disabilities.

Given the current economic climate globally, combined with increasing fuel prices in the UK, it’s a difficult task for the government and energy supplies to reduce the number of families in the UK falling in to fuel poverty.

What is being done to stop fuel poverty?

Before looking for handouts, boiler grants or assistance from the government, there are many things people should do first. This could be;

  • Researching the energy market to get the best deal.
  • Heating your home in a sensible and efficient way.
  • Maintaining the boiler in your property with an annual service.

If you are concerned about fuel poverty you can find out more information from your local council website.

What is Green Deal?…Your questions answered

What is Green Deal?

Green Deal is an innovative new government scheme due to be launched in the UK in 2012. The scheme will allow UK homeowners to obtain significant energy saving improvements to their home. These upgrades in energy efficiency could include a boiler replacement, wall insulation or double glazing. The scheme is part of a bigger Energy Act 2012 Bill, created on 18 October 2011.

Is it free?

No. The idea is this: you will be given a loan to make energy efficiency improvements to your home. You will have to repay this loan via an additional charge on your energy bill.

I’m a Business, can Green Deal help me?

Yes. The Green Deal is available for non domestic properties. The scheme has been designed so that the non domestic and domestic process for application is as similar as possible.

How do I know what energy efficiency improvements I need?

At the early stages of the application process, an authorised assessor will visit your property. You will then be provided with a report detailing the recommendations and the savings to be made.

Who will carry out the work?

A Green Deal Provider will complete the work. The government has plans underway to develop a high level of standards that all installers will need to adhere to. Authorised providers will carry a Green Deal Quality Mark.

What happens if I move house?

If you move home, the responsibility of the Green Deal plan will transfer to the new tenants or bill payer. Green Deal is linked to the property, not you as an individual.

So what’s the point!

Although you will have a commitment to repay the cost of the efficiency improvements to your home, the amount you repay will be offset against the savings you make from having a more energy efficient home. For example, you could significantly reduce your gas bill if you have a new energy efficient boiler installed combined with new double glazing and wall insulation. The savings you make on your gas bill will go towards your repayment of the improvements.

Please use the comments section below to ask specific questions, and we will get the most popular questions added to the list.


British Gas new boiler offer – HURRY – ends soon

We just wanted to let people know that British Gas currenlty have an offer of £400 off all new boilers. The offer ends on the 29th February 2012. The boiler does not need to be installed by this time, but you must have contacted British Gas by this date to qualify.

boiler grants

For more information visit the British Gas website.

Dont be late



Boiler Grants in Scotland

In Scotland there is a scheme called The Energy Assistance Package. This is very similar to the Warm Front scheme ran in England, and the Nest scheme in Wales.

The scheme offers a free home energy check to anyone. This energy survey will provide you with information about he existing state of your properties efficiency, and provide suggestions where improvements or savings can be made. You do not have to be in receipt of benefits, retired or in ill health to obtain this free home energy check.

The scheme can also make an assessment of your personal circumstances, as you might not be aware of tax credits and benefits you are entitled to. You will also be provided advice about energy tariffs and insulation grants you could be eligible for which could help you save money on your energy bills.

As well as all the free advice provided, if you meet certain criteria, you might be eligible for a boiler grant or other grants up to £6500. This could be spent on;

  • Installing a new boiler
  • Insulating internal and external walls
  • Insulating lofts
  • Providing heating controls

To qualify for a grant of this type you will need to own your property or rent from a private landlord. You must have also occupied the property for a minimum of one year 1.

You or your partner must be:

  • aged 60 or over and have no central heating system present.

Or your home must have a poor energy rating and you or your partner:

  • are 75 or over
  • or  are in receipt of the Carers’ Allowance
  • or receive qualifying benefits and fit any of these descriptions:
    • are pregnant
    • are 60 or over
    • or there is a child under 16 in the household
    • receive the highest rate of the care component or the higher rate of the mobility component of disability living allowance2
    • are terminally ill (in receipt of DS1500 certificate)2

1 If you are terminally ill you do not need to have lived in your property for at least one year.
2 If you fit this description you must also receive a qualifying benefit other than disability living allowance.

Qualifiying Benefits

If you’re 75 or over or 60 or over with no central heating system present, you don’t need benefits to qualify.

  • Guarantee element of pension credit
  • Child tax credit or working tax credit, within certain thresholds
  • Attendance allowance
  • Disability living allowance
  • Employment and support allowance
  • Income support, income based jobseekers allowance
  • Housing benefit
  • Council tax benefit
  • Industrial injuries disablement benefit which includes a constant attendance allowance.
  • War disablement pension which includes a mobility supplement or a constant attendance allowance

For full details about the scheme, and how to apply, contact the Home Energy Scotland Hotline on  0800512 012 or visit

Boiler Grants in Wales

If you live in Wales the Welsh Government provide different boiler and fuel poverty schemes that are not available in England or Scotland. The Welsh Governments current scheme designed to help people in fuel poverty or who need boiler grants, is call Nest.

The Welsh Government has created and developed the Nest scheme to tackle the Fuel Poverty issue in Wales. Fuel Poverty is a term used when more than 10% of a household’s income is spent on fuel.

boiler grants nest logo

The Nest scheme is not just a solution to replace your broken boiler, or help you install insulation, the scheme offers a one stop shop for free impartial advice on your energy consumption, your energy tariffs, the benefits or grants you might be entitled to, and much more. So even if you don’t qualify for a boiler grant or insulation grant, you can still contact Nest for advice.

Are you eligible for the Nest Scheme?

To be eligible for the Nest scheme you or someone living with you will need to be in receipt of a means tested benefit and you will also need to be the owner or your property or privately rent from a landlord.

What is a means tested benefit?

The following are considered a means tested benefit;

  • Pension Credit
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Council Tax Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit

Your home and boiler will need to be assessed, and if your home is considered not energy efficient, this could mean you are eligible for the Nest Scheme. To find out more about the Nest scheme you can visit the official website at or you can call an advisor on 0800 512 012.

If you would like more information on the efficiency of your home and boiler, please read our post ‘Before considering a boiler grant

What is the Warm Front scheme?

What is the Warm Front scheme?

The Warm Front scheme or Warm Front grant is funded by the government in the United Kingdom. The scheme has available funds of £110m in 2011/2012 and £100m in 2012/2013. After a recent spending review, Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change, Chris Huhne said “We have improved the Warm Front scheme so it’s better targeted at those who need it most, helping around 90,000 households over the next two years”.

Warm Front  logo - Boiler grantsThe scheme is designed to provide people on income related benefits with assistance improving the heating, insulation or efficiency of their property.  It is available to home owner’s  or tenants who rent their property from a private landlord. People who qualify for a Warm Front grant can get up £3,500 towards a new boiler, or other heating or insulation upgrades to there home. You won’t have to pay any money towards the improvements, unless upgrades cost more than the grant available to you. But this would be established early in the application process.

If you are looking for boiler grants, the Warm Front scheme could help you and your family if you meet the criteria. To find out if you are eligible for the Warm Front scheme or for more information about boiler grants, please read all the information we have in our ‘Before considering a boiler grant‘ and Am I eligible for a Boiler Grant? pages.

For more information about the Warm Front scheme and to apply, please visit the official website at

Before considering a boiler grant

Before considering a boiler grant?

Before applying for a boiler grant, you should first consider if you need a new boiler. In some cases it might be obvious that your existing boiler is no longer cut out for the job of heating your home and providing you with hot water and daily showers, but there might be a more simple and economic alternative to having a new boiler installed.

Has your boiler been serviced?

If you are experiencing trouble with your existing boiler, before considering a new one, consider if the old one might just need a boiler service.

Experts recommend a boiler service once a year. Your boiler is a complicated device with many parts inside making it work. A regular inspection and service of the boiler will ensure it’s running smoothly. You can probably find a local engineer to carry out a one off boiler service for a reasonable fee. But you might also be interested in taking out a maintenance contract or insurance cover against your boiler. This is a competitive market and there are always deals from the major UK energy suppliers or specialist boiler servicing companies Most of these agreements will involve a monthly payment in return for servicing of the boiler each year, and they will often include cover against any breakdown or emergency you might have with the boiler.

How old is your current boiler?

Although the age of you boiler will not relate directly to the need for a new boiler or boiler grant, it’s safe to say that modern boilers are far more efficient than they used to be. As technology in the boiler manufacturing industry has improved, new boilers have become much more efficient.

Rather than use the age of the boiler to consider if it needs replacing or if you are considering a boiler grant, you should investigate the boilers efficiency first. The government developed a rating system in conjunction with boiler manufacturers in the UK to help provide a better idea of boiler efficiency. This is called SEDBUK (Seasonal Efficiency of Domestic Boilers in the UK). You might not have heard of this system, but you will almost certainly recognise the image below.

Bolier Grants SEDBUK

SEDBUK rating

Your boiler should fall in to a category between A-G. A =  90% +efficient (which is good) and G being 70% or less efficient (which is bad). If your boiler falls in to E, F or G category, it’s certainly worth investigating if you are eligible for a boiler grant. You can go to the official SEDBUK website to find your boiler and its efficiency rating.

Older posts «